Per your request, today I’m sharing what I packed in my hospital bag and actually used. I really felt like we were prepared (maybe overprepared) and that we used the majority of the items we brought with us. I didn’t feel right getting this post up pre-delivery, as I wanted to be able to share from my own experience. I personally felt very overwhelmed when packing my own bag and reading through numerous blog posts, so I wanted to make a list of things you actually need.
- Long charging cord
- Pillows & blanket
- Delivery Nightgown (I didn’t change into mine until after delivery)
- Dry shampoo + makeup bag + deodorant, toothbrush/paste
- Swaddle for 1st baby picture
- Going home outfit for baby
- Going home outfit for mom
- Slippers (I wore these during postpartum care, but they also give you the grip socks so these aren’t completely necessary…just preference)
- Silver nipple shields (I swear on these! I know they are an investment, but TRUST ME. If you plan to breastfeed, start using these after the first feeding and they help so much!!)
- Bluetooth speaker (the speaker for the TV is the one on your hospital bed remote — which sucks! We used the app Tunity to connect the TV to our phone and play it through the bluetooth speaker. That way Kyle and I could both watch with good sound)
- Sleep mask (Nurses are constantly coming in handout of your room. You will definitely want your rest prior to baby coming)
- Babybook for footprints
- Diaper bag
Keep in mind that they provide a towel, washcloth, and body wash for you when you shower (some people don’t, but I felt so gross and couldn’t wait). They also provide the following items during your stay: baby diapers & wipes, nipple cream, water jug, grip socks, hospital gown, plain white t-shirt for baby, blanket to swaddle baby in, beanie, and postpartum essentials (pads, dermaplast, mesh underwear, perineal bottle). I’m probably forgetting a few small items, but these are things I thought I needed to pack and didn’t know the hospital would be providing.
I hope this post is helpful if you’re a mom-to-be and packing your hospital bag! Remember, I only included the items I thought were 100% necessary after my experience in the hospital. If any of you mama readers can think of essential items I forgot to include, please share in the comments below!